b.glam baby blog

Get the latest on b.glam baby press, fashions, & sales! Also, place to share stories about our kids, your kids, and all the cute things they do. And, of course, a place to b.glamorous!

Friday, August 10, 2007

How we hate the Yankees

Well, here it goes, my first ever blogging experience. This story is about our oldest daughter Sophie.
We have 3 children, Sophie who is 8 years old, Kenzie, our son, who is 6 1/2 years old, and Sadie, our youngest, who is 5 years old.
When Sophie was born, we lived in New York. Technically we lived in Center Moriches on Long Island. My husband was in the Navy and when he left the Navy he was hired by the FAA to work at the Air Route Traffic Control Center on Long Island. We were married 2 years after he moved there. Sophie was born less than 2 years later.
While we lived in New York, we of course had to deal with all of the Yankees fans. That doesn't sound like it would be toio big of a deal, but my husband and I are die hard Cleveland Indians fans. Anyone who is an Indians fan, for the most part, hates the Yankees. It did not help that the first year that we were married was the year that the Yankees knocked the Indians out in the playoffs.
Needless to say, my husband HATES the Yankees.
When Sophie was 4 months old, I moved back to Ohio and my husband stayed in New York. Sophie and I lived in Ohio without my husband for a whole year. When he was finally able to move back, he was a very happy camper.
Sophie had a love for baseball at a very young age. Since my husband and I are huge fans, it was easy to turn her into a follower as well.
When Sophie was first learning to talk, my husband would be watching the Tribe and he would say, "Sophie, say "GO TRIBE"!" and she would reply, "OOOOOH IBE!". Of course we thought it was adorable even though no one else could understand what she was saying. One day I thought it would be fun to mess with my husband so while he was at work, I taught Sophie to say, "GO YANKEES!". Her adaptation was "OOOOH ANKIES!".
The next night when we were watching TV, the Indians were hosting the Yankees and things weren't going so well for our beloved Tribe. Kevin told Sophie that we needed to cheer to turn things around and started with the "GO TRIBE!" chant. Sophie promptly replied, "OOO ANKIES!"
DEAD SILENCE FOLLOWED!
"Where in the h-e-double hockey sticks did she learn that?", my husband asked?
"I have no idea," I said with a huge smile on my face.
He knew that I taught it to her and from then on, whenever we wanted to get his goat, we would say, "OOO ANKIES."
Eventually Sophie learned to say her g's but it was always"ANKIES". When she was about 3 years old, she was watching a game with my husband and she shouted the forbidden phrase as loud as she could. My husband said, "Sophie, come over here for a minute." She went and sat on his lap and he told her, "Sophie, if you can tell me WHY you like the Yankees, you can root for them and I won't say a word." Sophie said, "Because Daddy, they have chips!"
Now, I have to interject here to explain something to you. My Mom, sister and myself are OBSESSED with snacks, chips in particular. We know every type of chip, pretzel, Dorito etc, ever made. If I were stranded on an island and could have one food, it would be any form of snack chip. My husband hates the fact that we exist on junk food and is always trying to get me to cut back on the snacking, so when Sophie said she liked the "Ankies" because they have chips, my husband blew a gasket. "What do you mean you like the Yankees because they have chips? What kind of chips do you think they have" Sophie, in her adorable little 3 year old voice said calmly, "Because they have CHAMPION CHIPS!"
Needless to say, that ended the conversation and my husband has never asked Sophie again why she likes the Yankees!!!




















Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 14, 2007 at 11:30 AM , Blogger tiff said...

He he!!! I love this story about Sophie. Ever since she was very little, she has had a fabulous sense of humor. As my very "first" niece from my side of our family, this doll will always have a special place in my heart! Go Yankees-JUST KIDDING!!!! I am also a TRIBE fan.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 5:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home